Thursday 18 September 2008

leaving Milos without C90

Smoking a cigarette on the deck of the ferry watching as Milos disappears in to the distance.
I'm at the end of an adventure, I'm no longer a road dog with my trusty C90 motorbike, I'm like everyone else here, a tourist on my way home after a weeks holiday on a Greek island. maybe I always was a tourist, but with a motorbike carrying your belongings and a map you can go anywhere, anytime, you are free to do what you want. You don't stand in line having your passport checked. I have been through England, France, over the Alps, Switzerland, Italy and Greece. No one looked at my passport, people waved me through borders. When I get to the Airport I will be back in the system, I'll be in line and I'll have my bottle of water taken away from me for my safety. 

I hadn't realised what an impact this trip had made on me until it was over.
I'd spoken to Liam about how easy it had seemed, both of us expecting the hardship to teach us something about ourselves and the world. what ever I have learnt is far more subtle and gentle than I'd imagined. 
 
I don't think this trip was difficult it just wasn't easy.
it took us a little over 2 weeks to get to Greece from Oxford on our little pizza bikes, it will take 3-4 hours for me to get back to England on a plane.
This trip has helped me understand and love the journey as much as the destination. Moving through beautiful landscapes and scenery, crossing countries the old way, taking time. It's an excellent way to travel and i can't remember feeling more connected with the world.

Jamie





No comments: